New Mexico Chicken Chili Soup
- 1 whole chicken, about 2-3 pounds
- 1 lb. fresh or 16 ounces of canned Roma tomatoes
- 3 white or yellow onions, cut in quarters
- 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, snipped
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 10-12 mild or medium green chilies (Anaheim peppers are a perfect choice); roasted, peeled, deveined,and sliced in long strands
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1 cup soft yellow cheese, such as Monterey Jack, cut in cubes
- 1 cup sherry
- Put chicken, onions, garlic, and a sprig of rosemary in a large soup pot, covering the chicken with water. Cook until the leg can be removed easily and the meat is almost falling off the bones, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken, cool and shred into bite-sized pieces. Skim top of broth to remove fat.
- While chicken is cooling, add Roma tomatoes with juice and chili peppers to broth. Cook for another 20 minutes, then add chicken, snipped oregano, salt and pepper to taste and sherry.
- Place cheese in bowls and ladle soup over cheese. Serve with fresh, hot flour or corn tortillas.